Makes for about 2 pints of Adai batter (serves 15 ~20 Dosas)
1 Cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup Channa dal, Urad dal, Moong dal, Red Masoor dal (optional), Toor dal each
3~4 stems of fresh curry leaves
4~5 red chilies (adjust according to your taste)
ginger about the size of a quarter
2 tbsp. of Jeera /Cumin seeds
Salt according to taste
Pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
1 cup fresh coriander leaves (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2~3 tbsp finely chopped green chilies
2~3 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1. Soak oats, dals, curry leaves, ginger and red chilies in a bowl for a minimum of 4 hours
2. Grind into a fine paste, add fresh coriander, salt, hing and water as needed
3. The batter should be of consistency where it spreads well on the Tava and not runny.
4. Heat Tava/griddle and pour a ladle of batter and spread into a circle using the ladle.
5. Add a little bit of oil to the edges to make it crispy
6. Add chopped onion, green chilies, and ginger. Optionally you can also add grated carrot, coriander, and nuts like cashew.
7. Let is roast for a minute or two and the turn over for a quick 30 sec and roll into a perfect crispy Dosa.
8. Kids version can be made by adding some grated cheese and a variety of nuts like almonds, cashew, and even Walnuts.